News

News

Thursday
June, 20
More

    US Air Force prioritizing cloud-based command and control

    Featured in:


    NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — The U.S. Air Force is prioritizing the delivery of cloud-based command-and-control networks to forces across the globe, and is preparing to follow through even under federal spending that falls short of a full budget.

    The so-called CBC2 effort is closely tied to the service’s Advanced Battle Management System, or ABMS, itself a portion of the Pentagon’s larger connect-everything-everywhere campaign now known as Combined Joint All-Domain Command and Control.

    U.S. Northern Command, North American Aerospace Defense Command and Pacific Air Forces, the air component of Indo-Pacific Command, were slated to be the first organizations to receive the program, which melds information from hundreds of radar feeds and lets users tap into machine-fueled analysis.

    “The CBC2 plan that we have right now is one we intend to preserve, despite a slowdown with regards to getting budget when and where we need it,” Brig. Gen. Luke Cropsey, the integrating program executive officer for command, control, communications and battle management, told reporters Sept. 11 on the sidelines of the Air, Space and Cyber Conference at National Harbor in Maryland.

    “It’s really about prioritization, right?” he said. “How far can you get with the dollar you have available?”

    The Air Force in January tapped Science Applications International Corporation to orchestrate CBC2 software. The deal was worth up to $112 million.

    Talk of a short-term spending bill — or even a partial government shutdown — is heating up as the last weeks of fiscal 2023 tick away. While a continuing resolution maintains the funding rates of the previous year’s appropriations and ducks a full-blown stoppage, it also jeopardizes the start of new projects.

    Members of the House are expected in the coming days to vote on an $826 billion Defense Department budget for fiscal 2024. The White House has threatened to veto the measure, should it get that far, Defense News reported.

    Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall on Monday said the service could endure a short-term continuing resolution, as it has in the past. But, he warned, a longer freeze could cause problems.

    “Do not shut down the government in three weeks,” Kendall said. “Many of us have been through shutdowns. They are extremely damaging to our readiness, retention and morale.”

    Colin Demarest is a reporter at C4ISRNET, where he covers military networks, cyber and IT. Colin previously covered the Department of Energy and its National Nuclear Security Administration — namely Cold War cleanup and nuclear weapons development — for a daily newspaper in South Carolina. Colin is also an award-winning photographer.



    Source link

    Find us on

    Latest articles

    - Advertisement -

    Related articles

    Stratolaunch sets sights on hypersonic speeds for next Talon-A...

    Following a successful test flight in which its Talon-A vehicle reached near-hypersonic speeds, Stratolaunch is preparing...

    Britain finalizes deal to buy 14 Chinook helicopters

    LONDON — Britain’s defense secretary has committed to a deal to acquire a new fleet of...

    Revamped KC-46 vision system slipping into 2026, nearly two...

    The rollout of the Boeing KC-46A Pegasus tanker’s new remote vision system will likely slip into...

    Pentagon may build a second track for hypersonic ground...

    The Pentagon is exploring options to build a second track to test hypersonic systems that can...

    India approves full development of fifth-generation fighter

    CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — India’s Cabinet Committee on Security has given a green light to continue...

    Pentagon clears F-35 for full-rate production

    The Defense Department said Tuesday it has officially made its long-awaited decision to move forward with...